Did you know that there are over 1.9 billion websites in the world? This once again confirms how dynamically the sector is developing. And it again proves how important it is to choose a first-rate web hosting provider correctly, so as not to lose your position on the web to competitors. We are ready to share with you the main trends in web hosting in 2022-2023 to make it easier for you to choose a hosting provider.
Some general information not to be ignored
Why should finding a reliable ISP be at the top of the list when creating a website? Because your online presence directly depends on it. The COVID-19 pandemic has forced many businesses to go online, to reformat their work for electronic sales completely. Never before ensuring the smooth operation of web resources has been such an important task for entrepreneurs.
Against the backdrop of such trends, hosting providers must work confidently in an ever-changing digital environment, keeping up with customer demands and preferences. At the same time, while for some customers shared hosting resources are enough, others are looking for a high-quality dedicated managed server service. In other words, providers need to create flexible packages that can satisfy different groups of customers in terms of price/quality/volume of services. What are we talking about? Let’s break it down point by point.
Hosting service providers who intend to stand out in the core segment have long stopped offering pure hardware. Today, their service package is a full-fledged offer, filled with additional services. For example, hostzealot.com makes every effort to make it comfortable for the client to launch the site, and later work in the virtual space. Among those proposals that are always relevant to tenants of shared hosting, virtual private or dedicated servers should be noted:
- domain registration;
- automatic provision of additional bandwidth if necessary;
- HTTPS for secure traffic;
- increase disk space on demand or, again, if necessary;
- default backups;
- built-in marketing tools for WordPress websites;
- mobile app launch.
This is by no means a complete list of what the customer expects and receives from a modern, forward-looking provider who intends to maintain its position in 2023.
So, all-in-one comprehensive solutions that provide versatile website maintenance within a single system are a trend in the hosting industry that is not going to become obsolete anytime soon.
Green Web Hosting
Sustainability involves analysing the distant future. Many hosting providers, realizing that maintaining large-scale data centres requires enormous energy costs, are exploring opportunities to adopt green technologies. The management of large-scale infrastructure generates significant amounts of heat, increasing CO2 emissions into the atmosphere. To reduce the damage to the environment, responsible hosting providers are investing in carbon offset programs. Of course, this does not solve the problem completely. However, it provides an opportunity for various funds and institutions to study the problem. Over time, we believe, there will be environmentally friendly methods that meet the needs of web hosting service providers and minimize environmental damage.
So, current trends in the profile segment are focusing on “green” business and support for effective developments in the “green” sphere.
The development of the market and the high demand led to fierce competition among mid-level providers. Price competition has mainly affected virtual private server packages, as this is the best-selling product. In order to sell it, providers are trying to fit a solid list of additional services, up to additional security measures and website builders.
So, a thoughtful pricing policy is a key to success for the modern hoster. Trends dictate the development of several packages with a variety of offers so that the customer can choose the best option for themselves.
More and more companies are choosing a dedicated server over a virtual private server. Although its cost is higher, they value business security in the virtual world much more. A dedicated server is used by only one client, so:
- it is easier to organize data protection;
- you do not have to worry about dubious neighbours;
- less risk of attacks, since the server hosts only your one site.
So, separation in the world of hosting services is becoming more and more popular. And such trends will continue.
Managed Web Hosting Services
Modern business does not want to depend on one person. Even if it is the smartest system administrator in the region. It is easier for a company to trust another company, transferring the management of a dedicated server to a legal entity. The level of responsibility, security, and control, in this case, is much higher. And the redirection of the management of the server allows the business to focus on the effective solution of their own core strategic tasks, without worrying about technical problems.
So, managed web hosting becomes a priority for businesses that want to minimize the workload associated with internal IT operations.
COVID-19 forced businesses to implement marketing objectives through various online platforms. And the same pandemic contributed to the rise of fraud. Infiltration attempts and failures due to external interference became much more frequent than before. The number of cyber-attacks worldwide has multiplied.
It also contributed to the fact that some governments required businesses to make sensitive data available to track contacts. This was necessary to prevent a pandemic from spreading. Eventually, this led to an increase in inbound and outbound data streams leading to hacking attacks. Hosting providers had to work hard to improve security and offer customers increased privacy protection, furthermore drastically increasing the need for cyber security training.
So, as of 2019, hosting providers that take extra security measures into consideration and use security protocols are trending.
Conclusion: the main trends in the web hosting market in 2022-2023.
- An online presence is critical to virtual identity strategies and new-century business growth.
- The pandemic has been a growth driver for the e-commerce market while simultaneously requiring hosts to rethink requirements and security measures for customer websites.
- To gain market acceptance, hosting service providers need to be flexible, offering comprehensive services to customers that meet the needs of both large and start-up businesses. The price of the package must be consistent with the scope of the offer.
- Today, not only large but also medium-sized companies are trying to split up by giving up virtual private servers in favor of dedicated servers. At the same time, customers are not ready to maintain the staff of system organizers. They turn to the provider for control, and hardware configuration, giving preference to managed servers.
- At the same time, the development of the hosting segment requires a review of operating principles toward the “green” business. This does not mean abandoning technology, but developing it in favor of environmentally friendly solutions.