So you are looking for an effective way to reduce your utility bill and have settled on solar panels? Great. This is an excellent environmentally friendly idea and will save you money. Solar panels are warm, which attracts birds, especially pigeons, who love nesting under them or basking on the top.
As most owners will attest, pigeons nesting under solar panels is a frustrating problem. It is no wonder that solar panels pigeon proofing is such a hot topic among solar panel owners. Here is how pigeons affect your solar panels;
- They are noisy, so this affects the peace of your home
- The droppings are corrosive, which damages the panels
- When pigeons perch on top of solar panels, they reduce their effectiveness in solar energy collections
- Other vermin, such as squirrels and rats, soon follow suit once pigeons make your solar panels their home.
How is Pigeon Proofing Done?
Here are a few ways you can reduce pigeon nesting under solar panels;
- Install a bird mesh wire to the perimeter of your solar panels, thus reducing access underneath.
- Use spikes that make it hard for pigeons to perch on the panels
It is important to note that regardless of the pigeon-proofing method you use, you should always hire a professional. This is because they are specially trained to install different types of bird proofing without damaging the solar panels. They also offer additional services, such as cleaning the area and removing any pigeons before installing the bird proofer.
How Much Does it Cost?
Different companies will charge different rates for different pigeon proofing. The cost depends on the type and size of the solar panels you need. The company you choose will assess the solar panels and give you a quotation.
Is My Solar Panels Warranty Affected?
It is entirely normal for owners to wonder whether any additions to the solar panels will affect their warranty. The answer to this is both yes and no. Yes, your solar panels’ warranty will be affected if the pigeon-proofing is not installed correctly. This is because most pigeon-proofing will require it to be attached to the panels by drilling.
On the other hand, when you use a professional certified installer, you need not worry about your warranty. This is because they are adequately trained to attach any pigeon proofing without damaging the panels, thus usually maintaining the terms and conditions of the warranty.
What Should You Look For?
You should consider a few things before you hire a company to install your pigeon-proofing. These are;
- The qualifications and certificates of the technicians. Most qualified pigeon-proofing solar panels companies in the UK will be HSE certified.
- They have proven working experience with satisfied customers to attest to their services. The last thing you want to do is use a pigeon-proofing company whose results you are unsure of.
Pigeon-proofing your solar panels is necessary and needs to be done as soon as possible. Laxity or failure to install pigeon-proofing will cost you more in the long run and even render your solar panels unusable.