Getting funding for green initiatives has always been difficult, especially if you’re a startup in Europe. In recent years though the tides have started to turn with the rise of eco-friendly funds and a lot more grant availability.
As part of this wave of endeavours supporting eco-entrepreneurs, the Green Alley Award is a business competition launched last year by green economy investor Green Alley backed by some strong players including Bethnal Green Ventures, Seedmatch and the European Recycling Platform.
The competition is focused on supporting green startups in the circular economy. Green Alley welcomes all ideas/startups that can shift waste into a resource.
“We want to connect start-ups and entrepreneurs with great green ideas. We believe that linking London’s well-established successful entrepreneurial ecosystem with Berlin’s rapidly growing young start-up scene creates high potential for significant innovation in Europe.” – Jan Patrick Schulz, CEO of Green Alley Investment GmbH
Table Of Contents (Quick Links)
Can you apply for the Green Alley Award?
- Green Alley are not just looking for European applicants but also those who are looking to enter the European market, in essence, global entries are welcome!
- You should be a startup in the green space or an eco-entrepreneur with a mission to turn waste into a resource.
- Your business can be at any stage, that is at ideation or fully running. The awards are designed to foster innovation at all stages of development.
- You should have a service, product or tech that reduces, transforms, reuses or recycles waste. (You can also be bringing attention/ raising awareness of waste and recycling challenges.)
The applicant requirements are quite open to encourage teams/ individuals from across the world who are seeking to build a more sustainable way of life through circular economy principles in Europe. Sounds like you? Then apply!
What can you win?
In 2015, the Green Alley Award offered up to 20,000 Euros in cash and services:
- 7000 Euros cash prize for the winner.
- Rent-free space in Green Alley shared offices in Berlin for six months.
- Huge exposure to the green economy sector across Europe and the big players in this space!
- For the winner and finalists a one day workshop held at Green Alley HQ in Berlin with the chance to network with Europe’s leading green entrepreneurs and get expert advice on your business/ idea.
- Extreme networking possibilities and new contacts across the green sector around Europe.
- The opportunity/ exposure to raise investment from Green Alley and its partners.
All competition finalists will be invited to Berlin on the 4th November 2015 to participate in a one-day networking and learning event. Start-ups will benefit from workshops where they will learn the key aspects of starting, financing and boosting a green business. All finalists will pitch their business idea to an expert jury who will then select the winner.
Do I have what it takes to win?
70 applications were received in 2015, and we’ve taken a closer look at the three winners from last year, do some research and find out!
- RePack from Helsinki with a reusable packaging system for e-commerce
- FoodLoop from Cologne with a mobile app against food waste
- GreenLab Berlin with a vegan and organic fertiliser made of waste from cocoa production
How do you apply?
Presentations, pitch decks and videos are accepted as long as you follow their guidelines, set out here, so get drafting and submitting your application now. Good Luck!